Edifier W830BT Review | Longest Battery Life Wireless Headphones
This Edifier headphones is an evolution and an upgrade to the well received W800BT which we review in the past (click here). The improvement comes to both audio quality and battery life, beating the previous record holder of 82 hours 35 minutes. This is an over-the-ear headphone with a 40mm neodymium dynamic driver. Weighs 270 grams without the cables (additional 15 grams for cable).
The package comes with a hard carrying case (NEAT wish other did the same), a micro-USB cable for charging and a male-to-male 3.5mm headphone cable if you’re going old school analog. Yes, you can use the cable without powering the headphones. It has Bluetooth 4.1 with aptX support (for Qualcomm devices), you can pair the headphone the old fashion way or faster with the NFC tap if you have multiple devices.
For ergonomic adjustment, there is a 2 way swivel mechanism and the headband that extends up to 3 cm which is reinforced with metal bands this time. The headbands has some padding that curve well around the head. The earcups padding is now thicker and fluffier which is comfortable to wear for long hours.
The grip on the head is stronger on this one, most of the pressure is located on the back of the ears. Shaking my head aggressively and headphone still hold on to my head well.
Back to the earcups the size is 9.5cm by 8.5cm big with the opening being 6 cm by 4cm with a depth of 2cm. Giving you can comfy fit and over the ear grip soft feeling. Much better than the W800BT we reviewed in the past. Sound isolation is good and improved for a headphone thanks to the thicker padding.
For battery life we test it on the iPhone 6 by maxing the volume on the headphones and set the volume on the smartphone to 3V (same audible level as the W800BT for comparison using sound meter), which is loud enough to last 117 hours and 35 minutes which is more than the rated 95 hours. More than the previous record holder 83 hours of the W800BT. The Bluetooth V4.1 range is good up to 11 meter line of sight.
- Driver Unit: Neodymium Dynamic Driver 40mm
- Bluetooth version: Bluetooth V4.1
- Supported Profiles: HFP,HSP,A2DP,AVRCP
- Frequency response: 20 -20,000 Hz
- Sound pressure level (SPL): 96dB
- Nominal impedance: 24Ohm
- Weight: 0.274kg
Tiaan – Be Ok
- Low bass frequency is well bodied and full. Fades smoothly you can hear that bass vibrations at the end.
- Low bass frequency is highly energetic (air pressure) without any distortions, you can feel it booming in your ears, one of the best we have felt in a headphone. Superb feeling.
- Low bass frequency doesn’t eat into the vocals.
Pia Mia – Do It Again
- Bass well bodied and eargasm. It feels close to an actual drum which is rare (nearly). Fades butter smooth with the snare effect. Especially the bass vibration at the 2.05 mark.
- Bass is super-mega energetic even nicer if you bump the volume by 2 bar.
- Bass doesn’t eat into the vocal and more importantly only slightly overpower the vocal just a tiny bit, feels balance.
Pentatonix – See Through
- Vocals performs very good, every diction and pronunciation sound right and clear. More toward the warm side wishing for little bit more shine.
- Mitch Grassi’s hi-pitched male tenor voice, perform well at the high frequency tho I which for little bit more shine/sharpness.
- Group vocals is good you can identify each singer, vocal beatboxing and humming is top notch.
Violinder – Raindrops
- Piano/Violin tone sounds right and natural, more toward the warm sounding with the right amount of shine or sharp at the highest where is needed (high frequency).
- Bass/Drum and Piano/violin tone sound the same neither tries to overpower one or the other good indication of a balance headphone.
- Tones overall feels well bodied and not half hearted.
This review has been a good one for me, seeing Edifier listen to my advice and made many changes to the previous Edifier W800BT. Aside for the longer battery life, it has stronger build structure, better sound isolation thanks to the thicker padding, aptX helped with audio quality, and more importantly the sound quality is a step up. The headphones performs well from the low bass frequency to the upper-mids so any song would perform well.
Purchase the Edifier W830BT Here
Other Useful Links:
Our youtube audiophile playlist: Here
Other audiophile review on our site: Here
Audiophile ranking page: Here
Search anything here !!